Unintended Pops and Clicks - Firmware 1.4.5

I am just running for a quick Support. I am new to modular world and I really love this module.

Can someone please have a quick look at the attached screenshot and see if they can confirm which firmware this represents. Is it 1.4.5? I know this might be obvious to some users, but I’m struggling to understand how to interpret these lights.

Secondly, I am getting issues with unexpected pops and clicks when turning the repeats knob or controlling it via cv. It looks like some people have fixed this by reverting to an old firmware version, but I’d like to avoid this if possible. Grateful if anyone has any updated insights on this.

1 Like

I can confirm that you are on v1.4.5, the most up to date version of Data Bender!

As for clicks, I am unable to repeat any pops or clicks with the repeat knob on my Data Bender, on either firmware. If you could link a video of the pops happening, I could share it with our dev team and see what we can do about it!

Thanks for replying.

Here is the video (ignore sound)

Here is the audio capture of the pad sound running through databender only - per the above video

(Sorry I don’t know how to do video editing etc)

Video:
Showing databender with only the “bend circuit” engaged
Maximum “glitch windowing” is set
Firmware 1.4.5
Brand new module
A stereo pad is running through databender
Fiddle with the time or repeats knob
Clicks appear in various parts of the stereo field which should be windowed out

1 Like

Yes, this happens when you rotate the time knob anti clockwise. @michael , this is very good noticeable when using soft ambient style sounds.

Check the post ‘Glitch Windowing’ and my experience/experimentation (edit, I saw now you reacted also). I believe it’s because when you shorten the time, the data Bender needs to ‘stop and resync’ the generated sounds to the clock. This stop is sudden and the sound is not ‘cut at a sample with a 0 level crossover’. This will cause a click/pop, just like loop cutting of sound files. The windowing is not applied.

I also have it (had it, I sold my Data Bender).

Cheers, Airell.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. This behaviour does not seem evident on the original demo video eg at 4:00

This behaviour was also discussed when 1.4.5 first released with some users suggesting that older firmware did not have the issue: Qu-Bit Data Bender - Page 18 - MOD WIGGLER

It would be great to get some official clarity on this since it still seems to be an issue 12 months after 1.4.5 released

I have the first hardware version and can confirm this behavior with the latest firmware.
I didn’t realize this until I started making more musical tracks.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this by fixable by just adding an amp envelope with a short attack segment every time it re-clocks on turning the knob?

Yes, but I think it’s the release part rather than the attack. The sample is stopped immediately I would think.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

I just updated my Data bender for the first time (Version 1.4.5) and I immediately noticed unintended clicks and pops while turning the Time and Repeats knobs. I came to the forum to discover that it is a common issue. I don’t know what version my Data Bender came with from the factory, but unfortunately reverting to Version 1.2.0 (the only alternate version available on the website) didn’t solve the issue; the unintended clicks and pops remain. I guess this isn’t the release firmware, but rather a reworking of it? I was using the data bender without this issue moments before the first upgrade so it must be a software issue. I seriously regret attempting the upgrade because my Data Bender is now unusable until this issue is addressed. Is Qu-bit working on a solution? Can someone send me the release firmware (V.1.1.0) so I can reflash it in the meantime?

1 Like

Because you want your repeats be on clock sync, and you start a new clock speed when changing Time, I think it’s almost not possible to avoid the click and pops now and then in some cases.

I have never noticed it when changing Repeats I believe, but those ‘divisions’ of time are clock synced as well.