Help me build a 60hp Case

Hello everyone!

My brother in law gifted me a wooden custom made 60hp case ready for some modules. I have really liked what I have seen from the Qu-Bit modules. Please throw out some some suggestions on modules from Qu-Bit that will help make the most out of this small case. Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks!

1 Like

There’s a lot you can do with 60HP! You’d be surprised, but you can see that we use a 60HP case in some of our videos on Qu-Bit’s social accounts. What type of sounds/processing are you looking to make with this case? That can change the answer to your request by quite a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, so many questions beforehand to really help you out:

“Ready for some modules” as in “it has a built in power supply”? - Otherwise you’d have to consider a poweringsolution as well, which could even be another module that eats up around 4 HP of your precious space.

And like Michael already asked: What purpose would fit you? - Do you already own Eurorackmodules or is this your first venture (and are therefor not just starting out)? - Do you have other synthesizerhardware and/ or a DAW with an Audiointerface to In/Out Audio? - Do you play an instrument like the guitar and want to step your experiments up a bit?

Give us a little hint :slight_smile:

Otherwise and considering the case has power already inbuilt: Here’s a system as an ambient soundmachine & effect-processor that you could interface with other stuff and have it fire granular-madness :smiley: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2127680.jpg

1 Like

The case has power already built in. It is 412mA on +/-. It is only 12v. no 5v rail.

I grew up playing piano and guitar. Started Djing EDM music in 2017. Made some songs in garage band in 2018. Then didn’t make any music during the pandemic (had 2 kids during that time).

Recently got back into making music and purchased Abelton Live Suite. I have an mpk mini that I typically use in Abelton.

This case was a complete surprise and I’m excited to start the life long journey that is modular.

For this case I think I want to create something I can use to add an “it” factor to my Ableton productions. So for that it seems like a mono synth would be a good route to go? Something that can create a voice in the song or even a good bassline?

Open to suggestions.

So the tough part about this particular case is going to be the power consumption, since 412mA is not a ton of power to work with.

I have one recommendation that does fit the case and what you are looking for (I believe!).

The solution above gives you a complete synth voice with effects and modulation, making it a stand alone instrument. It’s a tight squeeze on power, but it should work out!

Here is a stand alone subtractive synth voice, which pushes the power over the limit and with no modulation. Keep in mind you can swap out any of these modules with comparable solutions, that require less power!

For example, if you decide to control your Modular voice with your DAW, you could replace Bloom with a MIDI to CV module.

In a perfect world, I would set something up like this system for 60HP:

A complete voice with some awesome effects/sound design tools and modulation.

Let me know what you think, and if you haven’t already I recommend checking out Modular Grid to help build out your case!

Michael,

Thank you! This has been super helpful.

The first one you built I think is a huge contender for me. A stand along instrument with modulation and effects is probably the best way to describe what I was looking for.

The second version is also really intriguing. I have been really drawn to the Chord module and have definitely thought about using my DAW to control the voice. I have also considered getting a keyboard with CV output to use to control the voice.

Lastly, I agree that the last setup would be awesome. I’m sure I’m going to upgrade to a larger case at some point and I’ll keep that setup in mind.

I’m going to dig into the first setup some more and let you know if I have any questions.

This was super helpful. Thanks!

Michael,

One question, for the first version, the (3) 2hp modules. What are those called and where do I purchase them?

Scratch that. Found them [twohp.com] - Ok next question.

Would the main audio output of this come out of the trim module? I have a USB audio interface for Ableton that I would like to plug into so I can record what I play. What is the best way to do that? Or if I am just listening on headphones, how would I do that?

Glad you found the 2hp site! Tons of useful, small modules to fill your case with there. I chose the ones I did specifically because they are passive (do not require power), except for Buff which is powered.

Ideally, the modular level outputs would adjusted to the appropriate level for your DAW either in your audio interface, or via software. Modular level audio signals are ~10 times louder than line level audio signals.

You can definitely use Trim to accomplish this, though it is also nice to have Trim attenuate your modulation. Since you probably do not need a passive Mult in this case, you could run 2 Trims to accomplish both!

you could also not get the 2hp modules, and instead replace that 6hp space with a dedicated output module, such as the Modbap Transit or the Noise Engineering Sono Abitus

I have not checked to see if either of these modules would work with your PSU, but it would definitely be worth checking out!

Super helpful once again!

I just pulled the trigger and purchased all of the Qu-bit modules from the first case suggestion. Been non-stop watching YouTube videos to learn all of the functionality. So excited!

Still mulling over what I will do with the last 6hp. I really like the noise engineering output module you suggested. That’s exactly what i was envisioning. But that will push me over the power supply amps. So maybe 2 trims and a buff would finish off the case nicely. I like that idea.

Very nice! You’ll have fun with those modules, and those 2hp modules will do just fine I think. My first recommendation for you set up, if you don’t decide to pick up a larger case, would be to swap out the power supply to open up what modules you can use.

Glad I was able to help!

Also, don’t know if you checked out our promo on the site, but if you pick up Bloom, Data Bender, and Cascade, Surface and Nano Rand are free!

Yep! Exactly what I did. Such a great deal and a great way to get my start in modular. Can’t wait to start patching!!

Hey Michael,

I’ve received my modules and am really in love with the Bloom, Surface, and Nano Rand.

However, I am wondering if my Data Bender might be broken. When I plug my surface into it and then listen to the output, all I hear is static. When I turn any of the knobs, nothing changes. Even if I have the mix knob all the way to dry. It is still static. Maybe I just don’t know how to use it (very well could be possible)

Also, could you give me an example patch or two of how to utilize the Cascade with this set up? Am I correct in thinking that I am using it mostly to modulate other parameters in the system?

Thanks!!

The set up is looking great!!

When I plug my surface into it and then listen to the output, all I hear is static.

Though Data Bender is a glitch module, you shouldn’t necessarily be hearing static right off the bat. It sounds like Data Bender may be having a hardware issue that we can troubleshoot further.

Let’s try reflashing the module. Here’s a link to the latest firmware: Data Bender v1.4.5 — Qu-Bit Electronix

You’ll find a video tutorial at the bottom of the page taking you step by step through the update process. If you have any issues with the update, let me know and we can take care of it on our end.

Also, could you give me an example patch or two of how to utilize the Cascade with this set up? Am I correct in thinking that I am using it mostly to modulate other parameters in the system?

You are correct, Casade is acting as a modulation source in this particular set up, either as an envelope or complex LFO triggered either by Bloom or Nano Rand. One fun patch I like to do is run Cascade’s output through Nano Rand’s Sample & Hold circuit, and creating stepped glitchy modulation to send out to different points in my patch.

Remember, Cascade is also a sound source too, so you can use it as a kick to accompany your Surface sequence, or use any of the other sounds available to run through data bender for some glitchy texturing below Surface.

Cascade can also be a compressor, so you can use an external signal (or Bloom) to trigger sidechain compression on Surface (monophonically). Cascade will become more and more useful as your system continues to grow as well, should you choose to go that route.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new system, and let me know how that Data Bender update goes!

Hey Michael,

I tried reflashing the firmware. I was successful in doing so but i’m still just getting static when I try to use data bender. I can very faintly hear the surface module behind all the static but I cant get the data bender to sound any different no matter what knobs I turn or buttons I push. I’ve sent in a video to technical support. I’m waiting to hear back.

Thanks for you tips about cascade. Very helpful per usual.

Murphy

1 Like

Sorry to hear re-flashing the module didn’t help. Technical support should get you sorted out quickly, and data bending as soon as possible!

My data is officially bending! They had to send me a new daisy board thing? Popped that on and data bender worked exactly as expected. Fell in love with it right away.

Also took me a couple of times to play with cascade but I finally got the concept of using it for modulation.

So overall, I am loving this case! I think I’m gonna do an album of down tempo, glitchy, trippy, meditative music with this case to start. I’m so pleased with it. So thank you for all of your help!

I do have one more question though. I don’t fully understand the concept of sample + hold on nano rand. Can you recommend an article/YouTube video or just give me a quick idea of how it works and how to use it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hey! - Sample & Hold on the Nano Rand should work just like any Sample-Hold module there: you put a moving voltagesource (noise or pitch-cv, whatever you like) in and connect the out to a CV-Input of choice on any of your modules. You can then use a steady clock or a sequenced/ manual gate into the Clk-Input.

Everytime the Clk-In receives a gate, the voltage that is currently (in this very moment) to the S+H-input will be held as a static value and as it’s held, it will go outside the S+H-out to any destination. The static volatage will be held until the next gate to the Clk-In grabs a new voltage from the S+H-Input. That’s why plugging (or normalling) a Noise-Source gives good random results at a set clock rate/moment.

With Bloom, you got at least 2 sequences for pitch → If you went and multed one of those sequences CV out to the Nano Rand and triggered it with another timedivision clock (a slower one, ideally), you can for example grab the pitch for a Bass-Rhythm, or whatever you desire.

Ah…and if you want this to work at your desired tempo from a gate coming elsewhere, you need to set the clocking of Nano-Rand to external, otherwise it would do the S+H with the internal rate.

I just assumed you were asking for “how to operate Sample and Hold” and not “only” how to operate the Nano Rand with S+H-mode? - Otherwise, sorry to bother :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a patch I made a while back using both Cascade and Nano Rand’s S&H circuit!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cbs54p5tzFZ/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

Here’s what’s happening:

• Cascade’s envelope is used to scrub through Chord’s vocal wavetable, which is a converted audio sample saying “digital meets analog”
  • The envelope is sent through Nano Rand’s S&H circuit, where Nano Rand is constantly sampling and sending out the envelope (sounds the exact same when nothing is happening).
  • I then switch Nano Rand over to the external clock, which begins to “hold” whatever voltage is happening at the point of the trigger. This is what causes the scrub of “digital meets analog” to go from smooth to a clock sync’d, stepped scrub. It’s a great way to add some glitch to a patch!

I’ve been meaning to do a simple patch run down of this for the forum, maybe I should hop on that lol!

Also, super glad to hear your Data Bender is up and running normally!