Data bender not working after 1.4.5 firmware update

Hello, was hoping to see if anyone could help me with my firmware issue.

I have a 3rd revision data bender that I purchased new, and ran on the default firmware with no issues.

Upon updating to 1.4.5, the module will run properly and with all 1.4.5 features accessible. But upon powering my system down, it will cease to boot up again. The lights all turn white on boot, and stay that way indefinitely. I have reprogrammed it several times with different usb cables, and solo in a pod case to rule out potential power problems. It just wont start again upon repowering my system. I’m lost on what I could be missing.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it

Hey @R.A , welcome to the forum! Let’s try these troubleshoots to find out what the issue is:

1. With your Data Bender powered, try pressing the small RESET button on the back of the module, on the Daisy Seed. Does the module boot up?

2. Try re-uploading the old firmware from our site. Does the old firmware power up normally. If so, upload the new firmware again. Does the issue persist?

No luck Im afraid. Reset doesn’t appear to do anything, and the lights on the front panel remain white. Upon loading the old firmware, the unit will function as long as the usb cable is still plugged in, but becomes frozen upon removing it. Cycling power returns me to the white light state on boot. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it

Thank you for giving them a go! It seems there may be a power issue with your module, specifically with the Seed on the back. I DM’d you to get the Seed swapped, which should resolve the issue!

Hi
After upgrading the newly 1.4.5 firmware my module stays in a frozen state with all the lights blinking white and not working.I tried with different micro usb cables but no way it remains same.My data bender Version is rev 3.I reinstalles the original firmware and it s working fine.So could you help me to solve this issue if it is possible.

Hi
After upgrading the newly 1.4.5 firmware my module stays in a frozen state with all the lights blinking white and not working.I tried with different micro usb cables but no way it remains same.My data bender Version is rev 3.I reinstalles the original firmware and it s working fine.So could you help me to solve this issue if it is possible.
Thank you

Hi, After update firmware 1.4.5 module not work. All LED are white and little red LED side of BOOT button flashing. I tried install old version but not work and freezed. Could you help me?

Hey @Ken, welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to hear the Data Bender update did not go as expected. Here is our list of troubleshoots to try out:

• Have you tried multiple USB cables?
  • Have you ensured that the module is securely connected to the microUSB cable, and is powered via Eurorack?
  • Did you successfully upload the Data Bender v1.4.5 firmware file to the Electrosmith Web Programmer? It sounds like you may have accidently flashed the Blink example to your Daisy Seed, which would result in the blinking LED you describe. The Blink firmware is a test to confirm that your Daisy Seed flashes firmware properly.

Make sure your Web Programmer looks like the screenshot below, and that you are pressing the “Program” button.

Let me know if that is the case!

Hello forum.

I just tried updated my firmware to 1.4.5. Like some people posted here, my Data Bender gets all the LEDs turned on in white (not blinking).

When I load old firmware (1.2.0) again, it works fine.

I’ve tried two different USB cables but no luck. I’m using uZeus as Eurorack power source. When I load 1.2.0, the clock LED starts blinking as soon as it finishes loading, but for 1.4.5 the interface looks frozen with no clock LED blinking, and when restarted I get the while LEDs mentioned above. I also tried the reset button in the back but no luck.

Are there anything that I can do differently that might solve the issue? Thank you!

Nao

I’d be happy to troubleshoot with you! To confirm, you are extracting the v1.4.5 firmware from the zip file before uploading it to the web programmer, yes? The compressed version of the update file will not work, and can cause issues similar to what you are experiencing. Let me know if we can rule that out!

Hi Michael,

NO, I did not extract the .bin from the zip file!! How embarrassing.
After extracting and uploading 1.4.5 to the module, the clock is blinking and looks like it’s working again. Thanks for your help!

Nao

1 Like

Glad we were able to figure it out! It’s a super easy step to miss, and I hope you enjoy the latest Data Bender firmware!