Data Bender Firmware Update v1.4.4 - Released Today!

sounds good to meeeeeee :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t have any issues with flashing when I follow the YT video instruction. One thing, in the YT video, it’s said you need to power the module, but for me it seems only connecting the USB is sufficient, the LEDs will turn on and I can flash it…

Issue (was ok in 1.1.0?) 1.4.5: In macro mode, when bend and break are off, corrupt set to DJ mode (or any other), mix set to full (you will notice it the best), shift+mix is set to full and repeats set to let’s say 2oc, there is no stereo panning unless you actively rotate the time knob. Stop rotating will also stop random panning of the repeats. Strange it only randomly pans when time is rotated.

With repeats off I can understand this (no panning at all), but set repeats to a value I would expect randomly stereo panning. I don’t want to mess up the timing to get stereo repeats… :confused:

Howdy.

Something still seems off to me. A few times I’ve been jammin away, turn up the mix on my data bender (last in chain) and the audio is in a tight loop, even though the repeats knob is all the way down. Tight loop = less than a beat. I’m almost always in macro mode if that helps diagnose this.

I will try to reproduce and catch it on video.

1 Like

V1.4.5. Macro mode on. Time, breaks, repeats, bend, break all at 9 o’clock. Nothing plugged into the CVs. BPM is 130 and the clock going in is one on the downbeat.

It sounds like bend is activating far more often than the old firmware, despite the pots being practically all the way down. It also sounds like it is jumping octaves… even though the manual says that at this position it is just reverses. Break seems OK. It is giving a sporadic beat flourish every once in a while… nothing too jarring. The bend is jarring.

I’ll take a video tomorrow.

Link to issue when there is only stereo effects when time is rotated in ‘corrupt only’ mode:

Thank you for sharing your video! What you are experiencing exists in both the new and old firmware versions of Data Bender. The “random panning” you are hearing is not actually panned channels, since Data Bender’s asynchronous buffer manipulations only occur with the Bend and Break effects, and when Stereo Behavior is set to unique mode (which is the default). When Bend and Break are off, you are only hearing the buffer re-record itself in sync with the clock.

Now, when Time is changed, and especially rapidly, each channel on Data Bender will reset within a specific window to compensate for harsh buffer resets when adding and removing to the buffer length. This results in a lot less clicks, crackles, and pops, but it can cause the buffers to run out of sync with one another for the duration of the buffer subdivision. The results are the “random panning” that you are hearing. Let me know if you need additional clarification!

Hey @kokernutz, were you ever able to make that video? I was unable to recreate your issue on my end, however it could be an issue of knob positioning post-calibration, if you have calibrated your module.

Though Data Bender only reverses the buffer when Bend is at 9 o’clock, it does not take much to bump it up into the “reverse and octaves” zone of the knob. When the module is calibrated, the Bend knob range may be susceptible to slight adjustments that would bring this jump from one zone to the other a little bit closer to the 9 o’clock position. If I’m suspecting correctly, this may be what is happening on your end, and you will just need to bump your knobs down a bit to be in the appropriate range. A similar thing could be happening to Repeats, where it is instead jumping to higher repeats than what you are expecting, and you’ll just need to bump it down a bit. Let me know if this is the case!

Thanks you very much for the detailed clarification, it is much appreciated! I didn’t encounter this in the original FW, as ‘corrupt only’ was not much explored by me until the DJ filter came :smiley:

So the clock tick ‘resyncs’ the buffer. With this info, I could reproduce the following:

• In ‘corrupt only mode’, have an active clock sync the DB (LED flashing white/blue). This will sound ‘mono’.
  • Remove the clock sync (clock LED dimmed white). This still will sound mono.
  • Turn the Time knob to a new division: the (slightly) “random panning” is back! :smiley:

Not saying this is a real issue, but the (slight, not full) random panning is a real great effect in making the sound go ‘chorus’ in a ‘hidden config’. However on fast Time/clocks, the pitch shifts (probably due to faster playback of the buffer) in ‘corrupt mode only’.

Cheers, Airell

I agree, the unintended effect is pretty cool, and can be a great way to add a subtle stereo glitch to your sound. It’s also good to note that when you remove the clock signal from Data Bender, the dim white LED means DB is running at the last external clock rate it received!

Hello, I just ordered one from a retailer, is it safe to assume it will arrive with older firmware on it?
(new to most of this + excited)

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had the Data Bender for over a month now and I can’t seem to get the break to work. I’ve tried with the old and new FirmWare, attentuated the signal (low, mid and high), I followed different tutorials, used drums, pads and pure tones. Turning the time and repeats button when at different stages of mix, mode and break has no effect at all. What could be wrong?

I’m using an ADDAC 901P as a case, so I assume power shouldn’t be an issue.

There is a chance that your Data Bender was on the shelf at your retailer when the new firmware rolled out. I recommend confiming the firmware by checking out the LED indication at boot up. You can find that information on this page of the manual.

Hey @LaurensVDC welcome to the thread and to the forum! That is a very interesting issue, as I assume the rest of the module works as expected. It might be safe to assume power is not the issue, but it’s always best to not rule it out. Being at the limit of a power supply’s consumption ratings can cause modules to behave in unusual and unexpected ways. Typically, however, Data Bender will flash white, or reboot when it is not receiving enough power.

Do you mind sharing a brief video of the issue? perhaps with a patch with no other manipulations happening on Data Bender, and only using the Break effect? It would be super helpful for an initial assessment.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Test

This is the test I did. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for sending over the video! There definitely seems to be a hardware issue with your Data Bender. I sent you a DM with further instructions to get your issue resolved!

The Firmware update .bin file won’t uncompress on my MacBook.

I have tried installing ‘The Unarchiver’ and ‘Stuffit Expander’ but neither of them work with the Data_Bender_v1_4_5.bin file.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Feature Request:

1. New standalone “mode” dedicated to the bit crusher effect.
    The existing yellow corrupt option sounds so nice. It would be awesome to have expanded control over the bits, sample rate and/or overall decimation.

2. Ability to freeze/hold the various automated algorithms under break/bend. Perhaps shift + long press of break button would switch the gate (on/off) function into a freeze/hold function, per effect section, by way of the gate.

Please advise if this is not the right location for the feature requests. Thanks again for the latest firmware. really having a lot of fun with it.

We are still investigating this issue, but for some reason MacOS will try to unzip the .bin file even though it does not need unzipping after the initial .zip file is already unzipped. If you get an error window, you should be able to close, and still use the .bin file to update as normal.