Mix knob curve on Nautilus

What I was trying to describe is not in the chart… I was trying to describe curve chart like this, where the top and bottom curve in an inverted ‘copy’ when using a log or exp type curve:

curve

Volume wise this doesn’t make sense when using pots with the perception that ‘in the middle’ at 12 o’clock would be an equal amount of volume. In the chart you see that the two curves do not cross in the middle (convenient red dot left over from poor photo-shopping), they cross at about 65% which would be at 1-2 o’clock of the pot (or 10-11 o’clock). That’s what I meant with “doesn’t sound right”, when the volume is ‘balanced’ when the pot is at 2 o’clock, and not 12 o’clock from what you would expect.

Let the Qubit dev’s decide what implementation is best :sweat_smile:, at least I was not able to apply the Dipped and Constant power ones for a pot. I use Intermediate, Transition and one based on a sine function that sounds really cool in 3D rotation of the stereo field with a ‘artificial’ way of creating near and far sounds.

1 Like

Ah ok, interesting! Thanks for explaining! I feel that in this case that would exacerbate the problem though - the point in which you have both sources mixed evenly would still be too quiet (as you still only have 50% of each source) but you’ve gained an exponential relationship on the knob - it’s fixing the wrong problem no? haha

This chart possibly explains my point better than I can:

Note how an intermediate curve (which has the same intersection as your curve, just earlier) has a drop in volume at the midpoint. Taking 50% of two sounds doesn’t give the same output as 100% of one, due to that exponential relationship of how we perceive volume.

So your curve’s A+B power level would be a slightly exagerated, skewed version of the intermediate curve:

haha right on

I’ve had the Nautilus for a bit now and am also not loving the wet/dry behavior. Would it be possible to add “dry volume” and “wet volume” to the attenuators via Narwhal so those behave like standard volume faders? Not sure how that would/should then interact w the regular mix knob, but spose that could just be set centered, or perhaps available for an additional reassignment via Narwhal?

I think the solution would be having a “send” function as a configurable option for the Attenuverters. Dry/Wet could work the same, but you could dial in the “send” level for the wet signal, and even push it beyond the default levels.

This could be the counterpart to the Input Level function found by holding Tap and turning the Dispersal Attenuverter. This also let’s you keep the second Attenuverter for assignment/use.

Though @andrewikenberry’s initial suggestion for fade control via Narwhal is a great option, I think this has some merit for consideration as well!

(on second thought, having Tap/Feedback Attenuverter determine the Send Level might also be a viable option, and would free up both Attenuverter assignments, though having to dive under a layer of front panel functionality might not be ideal for most users)

2 Likes

Yes, I am also not satisfied with the dry/wet behavior. For my taste the Dry Signal gets quiet to early as you turn the knob clockwise …

1 Like

Hi everyone! Nautilus love here. Has this been implemented yet? Really needing this.

1 Like

This feature has not been implemented yet, but it’s on the shortlist for a Nautilus update down the line!

Just came here to look for a solution to this. It’s difficult to get a good ladvel matched between fully wed and muddle

Hi all,
I joined the forum specifically for this topic.

I often ride the mix knob to introduce the complexity of the music by adding the delay… this seems to me to be pretty straightforward as far as a use case is concerned.

At the end of the day, Nautilus is unusable as is. if someone wishes to change the wet/dry mix live or recording, as by the time i can hear the repeats, the dry signal has faded to dust.

at a MINIMUM i would like the option to simply ADD the wet to the existing dry sound, and if its a headroom issue, simply lower the entire level, as at least that can be trimmed elsewhere.

this is extremely frustrating.

1 Like

I also joined specifically for this topic. I do really love my Nautilus, but the volume drop is extremely frustrating

1 Like

I decided to return the Nautilus explicitly due to this issue. The method Qubit use for dry/wet control is NOT a feature, its a problem.

I will use ITB delays for a while, and if Qubit decide to provide an optional, more standard method of dry/mix control , ie simply add the mix amount of repeats to the incoming dry signal, (like >90% of delays pedals), then I would consider purchasing it again.

How long do we have to wait for this to get fixed? Its getting frustrating…

1 Like

Just got my nautilus and actually thought it was broken… but this seems to be a known “issue”
Any news on an update ?? Please :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi one more- the wet/dry seems wack.

Can you please fix it?

hey, this thread is now way over a year old - still no updates.
Can we please have an official statement if this will ever be fixed?

3 Likes

Not @andrewikenberry, but I can answer for the team. A Nautilus update is currently #1 on our list of priorities. We estimate that it will be happening within the next couple months. It will include the ability to change Mix curves via Narwhal, as well as some other features and polishes we want to implement.

Once we have more dev time under our belt on this update, we will share a bit more publicly about what features we are planning to add, and take suggestions from the community on additional features/changes that we may have overlooked.

2 Likes

There are so many other modular companies who will fix bugs literally overnight. But this one thing takes over a year and a half? I just don’t get it….

1 Like

I signed up just to come here and say the same thing others are. Please get a new firmware out for the mix knob situation. There is such a decrease in volume for me it makes it unusable in a lot of situations. It would be my favorite delay if not for this issue.

1 Like

Well, I can’t speak on behalf of QuBit, but if you check the thread, it seems apparent that it was a design choice and not a bug.

So a change in operation would be a new feature and not a bug fix. In the meantime they were releasing at least one new product which I guess took priority over everything but most of all addtions of new features (understandably, at least for me).
That being said, I also can’t wait for the update for Nautilus to arrive!

If your “design choice” affects functionality to the point where many people think it’s broken or unusable, then it’s pretty much equivalent to a “bug”, whatever the original intention was.

2 Likes