An ode to Bloom - Bloom 2.0 would be so awsome_some feature ideas inside aswell

Hi, first of all thanks for this amazing module. musically bloom by far was the biggest gamechanger for me, from all software or hardware i ever bought or tired.

i really love bloom. i have been making electronic music as a hobby for over 15 years, but i never learned an instrument or music theory, so i was never satisfied with my melodies. i have bloom for around 2 and a half years, and this changed everything. with bloom for the first time i am really happy with my melodys, for the first time i considere the melodys that come out as beautiful and aesthetic. but not only that. also the playability of the module really suits me.
i tried a black sequencer, metropolix, rene v1 and now have a hapax. and none of them is even playing in the same league as bloom.

with bloom i can just sit for hours, tweak my sound and can very easily vary the melody with a few knobturns. go off my path, zoom out, lose myself and then come back to the primary melody that has been playing for hours before.

but i often come to points where i think: oh it would be so cool if bloom could do this or that.

i really hope there will be a bloom 2 someday. some features i would love for it to have are:
(i am aware of the other request threads, and am also for updating the existing bloom firmware)

• advance the sequence from external trigger. so not only to clock bloom, but also to have the ability to get more groovy with the gate patterns. (so also having gate or clock in per sequencer)

• be able to play and choose only parts of a path. for example have brances 3-5 play in a specific path. so bloom does not always start with the root branch, but you can also go along the path. and then change start and endpoint. (and maybe the possibility so sequence this: 4 times branches 3-5, then 2 times branches 2-4 and then 1 time branches 1-5, and then even sequence different paths… branches 3-5 from path d, branches 1-4 from path a, wow this would blow my mind)

• the many times asked ability to set a range, so the notes go not all too farout in high pitch. and not only that, but set a floor and ceiling range for each branch. so branch 1-7 might be c2-c4 and then branch 8 might be c5-c6

• the ability to set a parameter for note density, lets say in the beginning the sequence has a lot of notes but in the later branches this fades out, so there are only few notes there then. and maybe even density control per branch. start busy, go light and than busy and light again. or have 6 branches of sequence and then 2 branches of silence.

• the ability to edit notes in the branches. lets say i have something really beautiful going on, but 1 note in the 4th branch does not fit, but now we can change that.

• this is a big one: some kind of wicked connection between the sequencers. so when i run 2 sequences to 2 synths, have the ability to let something freaky going on between the 2. lets say some call and responce stuff. or some harmony and chord connection between the 2 simultaniously running sequences.

• why not make it a big flagship sequencer, size and price like metropolix or rene 2. (like asked in the other thread a superbloom). having more sequneces in the module is very appealing. especially if the sequences can be harmoically related though an algorythm.

• having a display would make many things way easier. and while we are at it some usb or midi connection to run vsts :slight_smile:

• just an idea, not so important imho: why not have a smaller sequencer with a possible more expensive expander module that has a screen and more cv and control possibilitys. you could even go funky modular: have the ability to connect multiple sequnecer modules to your control expander module. so when you are on the road you go small, and when you are at home you have the big sequencer.

• some easy way to find a path again. having 8 branches and turning the path knob, it can be really difficult to come back. and while we are at it, why no have the ability fo mark certain paths in a sequence as favorits and then blend out all the other paths. so the path knob only shifts between the favorite paths in a sequence.

• the ability to record a sequence and than have bloom do its magic with that sequence.

• ofcourse the ratcheting, and the ability to change and safe gate length of all steps at once.

• cv control over the above asked things per sequencer.

• making saving and loading easyer.

and if some of this things are not possible. having a sd card or something so we can set some parameters on the on the computer and than load it on bloom.

i really hope we can see a bloom 2 someday. it can be the module of all modules.
but i would also pay a lot of money for a bloom 2 vst or bloom 2 ipad app :slight_smile:

thanks for reading. i have been thinking about making this post for around a year now, but never made it.

1 Like

Hey @rapha, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for taking the time to write up this post. We are so glad you are loving Bloom, and that your experience with it is providing to with all of these ideas. This information from users is of the upmost importance to us, and we always keep it logged for future developments!

This would be an awesome feature for the next Bloom. I like to do this with the current Bloom’s Clock input, and running the sequence at x1 the clock rate. Here’s a little patch showing this:

I like to use Chance’s Rhythm output since it is in sync with the Chance’s clock, which in this case I use to clock Nautilus for some fun delay stuff.

I think these two feature additions would help with a lot of the features you mention in your list! Also, moving forward all Qu-Bit modules will likely have a USB port on the front panel for things like updates, configurable settings, and alternate firmware files.

Thanks for sharing! We always love when people share their thoughts about our modules :slight_smile:

Hi Michael, thanks for the kind response, makes using your modules even more fun.

wow this actually works. thanks for the video.
i tried sending it triggers in 1x clock rate before and thought it must work and got woggely results and thought its not possible. but i must have had different settings. i just played a bit with it now and am very pleased. thats pretty cool and a big inprovement for my workflow!

the nautilus really is something else. cant wait to see what you guys come up with next.

1 Like

Glad it’s working out for you! It’s a good workaround to get creative gate variation quickly, though since you are controlling the sequence’s advancement using the Clock input, it affects both channels. It would be cool in a future revision to send independent gates/clocks to each channel!

And thank you for the kind words on Nautilus. We are excited to share what’s coming up for Qu-Bit, though it needs a bit more time in the development stage before we share it :wink:

Hi @michael,

Thanks for posting this! I have done something similar with my Bloom’s external clock input with logic combinations from multiple divisions of gate clocks before. I recently purchased a Shakmat Time Wizard and have noticed the trigger outputs aren’t registering with the external clock input on Bloom. Is there a chance that the length of the trigger from the Time Wizard is too short to be detected by the Bloom? Every other module I own is registering the triggers as external clock sources, and I wasn’t able to find a minimum time listing in the Bloom Manual for external clocks. There are two output on the Time Wizard that output gates that Bloom DOES detect, so I am assuming the voltage output amount from the Time Wizard isn’t the issue (but of course, I could be wrong).

Thanks for any insight on this! I am really enjoying the Bloom and driving it in non-repetitive rhythmic ways feels very much in the spirit of the module. Please view my inquiry as wanting to learn more about the specs of the Bloom’s external clock input, not as me looking for feedback on another manufacturer’s module.
-Tim

1 Like

Hey @timfischer, welcome to the forum! Awesome to hear that you’re using this technique too.

Bloom, can receive a gate signal with a minimum length of 5ms, and a minimum gate amplitude of ~0.4V. Anything below that gets a bit inconsistent.

Trigger signals tend to be around 1-2ms, which is why that particular output from Time Wizard isn’t working. If you are able to change the gate length of the Trigger output signal, it should work with Bloom. Otherwise, you will have to use the gate output channels as the workaround.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if you need further clarification!

I just want to add to this: I also use the Time Wizard and learned the exact same thing with Bloom. Only the gate-channels (5&6) of TW work with the Bloom.

1 Like

Came to the forum to suggest the point that is allready being made here by @rapha :

• the many times asked ability to set a range, so the notes go not all too farout in high pitch. and not only that, but set a floor and ceiling range for each branch. so branch 1-7 might be c2-c4 and then branch 8 might be c5-c6

This would be very usefull.
Im feeling stopped making music and let bloom make variations because it goes too high.
Like for instance im have a bass being sequenced by bloom and want to keep it in a rang but i would love to instant on the fly turn the path knob to make it interesting/different but still in a certain range. Having set up a great patch and music together and then the by bloom sequenced bass instrument does thing that dont feel great as it goes really high all the sudden.